Day four of the blogging challenge and the Internet wants to know my dream job. I feel like I’m in a great place to talk about this because I think I’m finally starting to get a handle on what the heck that is and such. My dream job is not a tangible jobs, but things that I think are important in the job that would be my dream job.
- A job that allows me to speak my truth. One of the things that I absolutely love about journalism is you can speak the truth. I know that sounds odd, because you’re supposed to be unbiased. I have been told by some amazing people that in journalism you’re supposed to be biased for the people. Your job is to disseminate information that needs to be told and you, as a journalist, should care that you are sharing the information that the people really need to hear. With that said there are things that are just wrong. Our social codes say they are. These are things like rape, murder, etc. A job that I get to stand up and share the stories of the girl who was raped or the who the people that were murdered were is a job that I want to be a part of.
- I want to tell people’s stories. Everyone has a story to tell and I think that’s one of the major things that makes us important as a human race. Everyone thinks, feels and reacts to things in a different way and as such they have stories that are personal to just them. I think that’s amazing and I would love to be a part of that.
- I want a job that I can be happy. There are too many places of employment that employees are unfeeling or discontent with their current situation. I want to be in place where people smile and where I can smile.
- I want to be a part of a team. So, I by no means enjoy group work. I do not like bunch of people working together on something that could be accomplished by one person. I do, however, enjoy work where a bunch of people are working on their own separate tasks and those works come together to form something beautiful (read newspaper, news site, magazine, broadcast, etc.). Also, because we’re a team I can ask for help and also we can laugh together.
- I want to get out of the office. One thing I love, love, love about journalism is being able to get out of the office and go to a story. Seeing people in their environment helps my psyche. I can’t explain it.
So, there are five characteristics that would make my dream job. I’m in the process of interviewing for a job right now that I REALLY want and meets so many of these characteristics, so I will let you know how it goes.
Also, if you know of a job that fits all these characteristics, check out my resume tab and see if you want to hire me. Ha. What do you look for in a dream job?